Buttered Prawns with Salted Egg and Cereal
From the title, you can guess this is a sinful dish. ‘Cereal’ is just a cover-up. But it’s one prawn dish well worth the post-meal workout…;)
3 tablespoons water
1 tsp oil
1/2 cup plain flour
2 tsp corn flour
2 egg whites
60 g butter
6-8 chilli padi sliced
3 sprigs curry leaves
2 salted egg yolks, mashed with a fork
2 egg yolks (microwave 30s)
500g fresh large sized prawns, deveined,
Sinlong crispy prawn cereal mix
1. Devein (& shell) prawns. Rinse, pat dry & set aside.
2. Add egg white, plain & corn flour, oil, water & whisk into a batter. Adjust amount of water to ensure a smooth consistency. Coat prawns with flour & dip into batter.
3. Heat butter and oil in a wok. Put in prawns when oil is hot & deep-fry till golden brown. Remove & drain.
4. Add in salted egg yolks and egg yolk, mash further with the back of the ladle. Set aside.
5. Stir fry chilli padi, curry leaves and cook for 10 seconds. Add in crispy cereal mix and fry till fragrant.
5. Pour in prawns, cooked egg yolk and stir fry evenly.
6. Serve immediately with steaming hot rice.