Sweet and Sour Pork
This is a dish that almost every Chinese family is familiar with. But every recipe probably has it’s own unique twist too! This is the way my family likes sweet and sour pork!:)
Pork tenderloin, cubed and marinated
1 onion, cubed
1 cucumber, cubed
1 can of pineapple, cubed
(B doesn’t really like capsicum, so I left it out, but you can add it!)
Spring onions, cut into two-inch strips (optional)
1 tbsp Hua Tiao wine
1 tbsp chicken marinade/ soy sauce
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp sugar
1 egg white
A dash of sesame oil
Flour mixture for coating pork cubes
3 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp rice flour
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
3 tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp plum sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
Pineapple syrup from the canned pineapples
Marinated pork cubes
1) Coat the pork cubes in flour mixture and deep fry till nearly cooked. Set aside to cool. (When cooled, deep fry again the second time to ensure the pork remains crispy just before serving. But skip this step if you are health conscious; or feeling terribly guilty already for even deep frying it at all!:P)
2) fry the garlic and onions till fragrant.
3) add in the cucumbers, pineapple, capsicums(if you have them) and fry for a minute or two.
4) add in the sauce, pineapple syrup, spring onions and bring to a boil. Thicken with some potato starch to your desired consistency.
5) Drizzle over the crispy pork and there there you have it – Sweet and Sour Pork!