Best Ipoh Hor Fun Soup Recipe
Ever had one of those comfort foods that bring back many fond memories? 🙂 This recipe takes me way back in time to a nostalgic Ipoh Hor Fun shop (Lee Tong Kee) that my family used to frequent!
Ipoh hor fun
Soup stock (makes approx 6 servings)
2 large pork bones
2 chicken carcasses
1 tbsp crushed peppercorn
1 tsp salt
Toppings (I blanched them in the soup stock)
Garlic chives (optional)
Shredded chicken drumstick
20 fresh prawns
Prawn oil (more about this later)
Deep fried shallots
Chopped chilli padi
Chopped spring onions(optional)
1) trim the fats off and blanch the soup stock ingredients before boiling everything together for 3hours. The drumsticks can be taken out once the meat falls off the bone easily.
2) meanwhile, deshell and devein the prawns. Set aside the prawn heads.
3) heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in wok and stir fry the prawn heads till they are crispy and the oil turns fragrant and reddish.
4) blanch the toppings and set aside.
5) cook the Ipoh Hor Fun and place in serving bowl. Add soup stock, toppings, garnish and drizzle with prawn oil.
Giving it a slight vintage look…
Now this one really brings me back in time…