Gyudon and Oyako Don (Japanese Beef bowl and Chicken-egg bowl)
Felt like having a bowl of Yoshinoya’s rice with XXL toppings today… Hehe… What better way than to make your own toppings… You can request for as high a mountain of toppings you want!;)
I made both chicken and beef cos B likes only chicken don while I prefer beef.
300g chicken breast meat, sliced against the grain
300g beef, sliced very thinly against the grain
Two small onions, sliced thinly
1/2 carrot, sliced thinly
A handful of beans
2 eggs, lightly beaten
800ml dashi stock(I used the teabag version)
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake(I used Huatiao wine instead)
Marinade for each meat
1/2 tsp baking soda (or 1 egg white)
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp wine
If you are cooking only Gyudon or Oyakodon, halve all the ingredients above (except for the meat).
1) boil the dashi stock, soy sauce and sugar (to get mixture A).
2) add vegetables and boil till cooked. Strain and set aside.
3) in a separate pan, bring 3 tbsp mirin and 1 tbsp wine to a boil.
4) add half of mixture A and bring to a boil.
5) add in half the onions, followed by the chicken
6) when chicken is cooked, drop in a lightly beaten egg and cook the egg till it’s done the way you prefer. I like it half-boiled. B likes his well done.
7) ladle over steaming white rice and add the cooked vegetables. Oyakodon is done!
8) repeat steps 3) – 7) for the Gyudon.
Gyudon is done! I added one of those instant miso soups as a side to satisfy my Yoshinoya craving. 😉 hehe… Enjoy!